There are many foods items that may safeguard against cavities. Fluoride is definitely one of them ! Fluoride makes the surface of teeth more resistant to acids during the process of re mineralisation.we can get fluoride from two sources either by drinking fluorided water of use of a fluoridated tooth paste. Our teeth is mainly made up of calcium and phosphorus.Milk and cheese are also rich in calcium and phosphate, and may also encourage remineralisation. All foods increase saliva production, and since saliva consists of buffer chemicals this helps to stabilize the pH to near 7 (neutral) in the mouth. Foods high in fiber might also help to increase the flow of saliva and a bolus of fibre can force saliva into trapped food inside pits and fissures on chewing surfaces where over 80% of cavities occurs . Sugar-free chewing gum stimulates saliva production, and helps to clean the surface of the teeth
Some beneficial food for teeth are:
- Green tea contains polyphenol antioxidant plant compounds that reduce plaque and help reduce cavities and gum disease. Tea may help reduce bad breath. Tooth enamel is strengthened because green tea contains fluoride which promotes healthy teeth.
- Milk and yogurt are good for teeth because they contain low acidity, which means that wearing of teeth is less. They are also low in decay-inducing sugar. Milk is a good source of calcium, the main component of teeth and bones.
- Cheese contains calcium and phosphate, which helps balance pH in the mouth,preserves (and rebuilds) tooth enamel, produces saliva, and kills bacteria that cause cavities and disease.
- Fruits such as apples, strawberries and kiwis contain Vitamin C. This vitamin is considered the element that holds cells together. If this vitamin is neglected, gum cells can break down, making gums tender and susceptible to disease and bleeding from gums
- Vegetables: Vitamin A, found in pumpkins, carrots, sweet potatoes and broccoli, is necessary for the formation of tooth enamel. Crunchy vegetables may also help clean gums.Onions contain antibacterial sulfur compounds. Tests show that onions kill various types of bacteria, especially when eaten raw.
- Celery protects teeth by producing saliva which neutralizes acid that causes demineralisation and cavities. It also massages the teeth and gums.
- Sesame seeds reduce plaque and help build tooth enamel. They are also very high in calcium.
- Animal food: beef, chicken, turkey, and eggs contain phosphorus which, with calcium, is one of the two most vital minerals of teeth and bone.
- Water cleans the mouth and produces saliva that deposits essential minerals into the teeth. It keeps teeth hydrated and washes away particles from the teeth.